Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Perspective

Last Saturday my sister called me upset. Her 31 year old friend is in the hospital on her death bed. She came down with the flu that turned into Pneumonia. When she went into the ER and they started treating her but she turned septic. If she lives, she will probably lose her hands and feet. Her kidneys have shut down. Her blood isn't pumping to her extremities. She can't talk but she has been able to move her eyebrows. She is now bleeding from an unknown source internally.

If you are a praying person, please pray for Jenny. She has a 9 year old daughter and a husband that are counting on her to make it through.

This is why I live my life looking forward and not back. Yes life can suck. Yes it has for me in the past. I don't choose to dwell on it. I chose to move forward. I choose to thank God for those days because they make me who I am today. I want to live in the moment and for the future because I don't want to be on my death bed wishing that I had appreciated my life more. Being a "Debbie downer" and dwelling on past hurts really sucks the gifts of today away.

Christmas day our flight was delayed. My 8 year old daughter asked me why I wasn't upset like all the other people around me. I loved the question because it really was a teaching moment. I told her that I wasn't worried or stressed because it didn't accomplish anything. All it would do is hurt me. Would it make the plane board earlier? Would it it make me happier?

My faith tells me not to worry and not to look back. I never saw Jesus complain that his parents got mad at him in the temple when he was a kid. The only people that did that was the disciples about Paul and God told them to snap out of it.

My motto live and love and look forward. Sometimes looking back is okay but doing it on a regular basis only does harm. Lot's wife turned to a pillar of salt.



Sidebar: This isn't a post about insurance BUT this could have been prevented if she had insurance. She didn't go to the doctor because she didn't have insurance. She and her husband are hard working business owners. They were just building their business and couldn't afford to insure themselves. Their friends, family, and themselves are the majority of people that didn't agree with government health insurance. Most are changing their minds. People don't think it is a right until they are in a situation like this. They are not lazy nor have they ever asked for hand outs, until now. Now they are going to be millions of dollars in debt and she may not live.

No comments: