Sunday, February 14, 2010

From Snowy days to melted hearts

Picture Christmas morning. The adults are watching the kids tear into their gifts with mad glee. The last of their gifts are open. My son turns to me and says, "Mommy, open your gift from me."

I find the tiny package, wrapping askew. It is covered with almost a roll of tape. He looks at me with his big eyes and says, "Mommy, I bought that for you with my own money." It takes me a few minutes to struggle to free it from it's package.

It is a tiny jewelry box. I open the box and it is a fake metal key on a chain. The child beams at me, "Mommy, I picked that out. I wanted you to have the key to my heart!"

Later my husband tells me that he didn't know why my son was buying me this gift. He tried to talk him out of it when shopping. He showed him all sorts of other gifts but my baby boy was intent on the particular necklace.


Today's gift was from my daughter. It is Valentine's day. I woke up and gave my husband and kids their gifts. My daughter walks out with this card.


She gave us each 20 cents. It was from her heart. Then she said to me, "Mommy I was saving a song for you. This song reminds me of how you love me. It is called 'The best day' " Then she sang it to me.


My heart melted.

No comments: