Monday, December 03, 2007

Unique Holiday Traditions

What unique traditions do you have for the Christmas holiday?

Years ago when my daughter was two and I was expecting, I put the Christmas tree up after my daughter went to bed. When she woke up she said, "Mommy, Santa put up the tree." The statement took me aback for a moment. I just let her think that she was right.

The next year, she said, "Mommy when do you think Santa will come to put of the tree?" I forgot about the year before, but realized it would be simpler to put it up when she was in bed. I had an almost 1 year old toddling around and pulling things down. Again, we put the tree up when they were in bed. They loved waking up to the beauty of the decorations.

The year my daughter was four I tried to convince her that we would put it up instead of Santa. I would be fun for her and her brother to help. They both refused. They wanted Santa to do the decorating. This was the same last year.

This year she asked when he would put it up and at this point its a tradition. We put the decorations up last night. It was beautiful seeing the children's eyes this morning. They were running here and there looking at the things "Santa" put around the house. It was like Christmas morning but with out gifts getting in the way. My kids got ready for school while watching "Polar Express" and the tree lights were on. I will forever treasure this tradition.

2 comments:

3 Men, 2 Ladies and a Hound said...

What a great tradition that they will remember for years to come.

Dana Watson said...

I'm sorry you guys aren't able to come to NC this year! I hope you and the kids have fun admiring your own tree and decorations. Just don't let staying there become a tradition. :-)

Now I need to go bug my parents about when we're going to put up the tree.